- This event has passed.
Water Safety & Surf Rescue Clinic
June 25 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
While the Great Lakes often get a reputation that fails to reflect their incredible power, they take an average of 20 lives per year, while in 2020 reaching a record, causing fatal drownings of 53 individuals.
To prevent more fatal incidents at our favorite surf spots as well as to support surfer’s life-saving capacity on red flag days, we partnered with Surfrider Northern Michigan and the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project to bring back our annual Water Safety & Surf Rescue Clinic.
Our goal with this important event is to ensure that beach goers and the surf & water recreation communities go into the summer surf season empowered to keep themselves, and those around them safe in the water.
Join us Saturday, June 25th from 9:00am to 11:30am in Frankfort, Michigan on the north side of the pier. Be ready to dive in and expand your knowledge on water safety and open water rescue techniques that will prepare you in the case of an incident in the surf and ensure your safety & enjoyment of our freshwater playground.
The course will teach participants how to:
- Expand Surfer’s Awareness in the Lineup
- Identify Hazards including Dangerous Currents
- Prevent themselves from Drowning
- Recognize the Signs of Drowning & Identify a Person in Trouble
- Perform an Open Water Rescue with your Surfboard or SUP
- Take Precautionary Measures in the Case of a Spinal Injury
- Perform basic CPR
Check out this powerful recap of our ’21 Surf Rescue Clinic with Jack Brodeur, Faith Hoekstra, & GLSRP:
About the Course Presenters:
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, Inc. (GLSRP) is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is about saving lives through water safety education, outreach, and research. They are dedicated stewards who specialize in Water Safety Surf Rescue in the Great Lakes region. Their mission is to eradicate drownings by being the leader of Great Lakes water safety by providing training, public preparedness, and public awareness.
Dr. Jack Brodeur is a waterman and an emergency medicine resident physician, with 10+ years surfing on Lake Michigan. Prior to medical school, he taught youth sailing where he shared the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project curriculum with his students. He is certified in Advanced Wilderness Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, and has taken recuse clinics to expand his knowledge of water safety and rescue.
The event is FREE, but… if you are able to donate, we encourage you to bring cash to the event. All donations will be benefiting the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, whom will be volunteering their time to help teach the clinic, and they would so appreciate your support!
What to bring:
- Your preferred watercraft (surfboard, stand-up paddleboard, or bodyboard)
- A buddy! You will be paired up during simulations, therefore you only need to bring one board per 2 people.
- Can’t get a buddy to join you? No sweat, we’ve gotchu’!
- Your wetsuit. We highly recommend a 4/3mm full suit. Have ~3mm boots? Bring ’em!
- If you don’t have a suit of your own, you may reserve a rental up to 24 hours in advance of the event.
- Water, towel, and dry, warm layers are also encouraged
- Bring a coffee mug if you’d like a hot cup of coffee during the presentation 🙂
We highly encourage you to watch the following short, engaging, educational videos before you join us, or if you can’t join us:
- GLSRP Signs of Drowning Compilation – Know the True Signs of Drowning, Know how to Survive:
- GLSRP Premier Video Debut – Dangerous Currents: https://youtu.be/71D8Y8YlsRA